Saturday, March 19, 2011

BLOG 4: "The Allegory of the Cave"

    In the passage "The Allegory of the Cave" Plato, discusses the interesting concept of the truth.  People who live in the cave, refuse to accept the reality.  In the cave, men live shackled to the wall, only capable of staring straight ahead. All they can see are the shadows of images carried between a curtain and a fire by some other people, who talk and make noises. If a man were released and forced outside, the brilliance would be painful and make everything difficult for him to understand.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Jared and I'll be critiquing you today I am in Vasileou's ENG 101 class.

    Interesting thesis choice about the concept of truth. However, I am not sure how it can pertain to the excerpt in the ways of enlightenment. With that note there are no supporting details for the thesis. It seems as though you are paraphrasing what is going on in the story. Unfortunately this seems unfinished. I haven't found any major problems with grammar either. It's good, but a work in progress.

    If you need anything just let me know. My blog link is
    www.emageht.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello My name is Josh Joya.

    After reading your summary I noticed a couple of things:

    1. I would suggest you re-read the text.

    2. What is the main idea? State it in in a sentence.

    3. Be more specific with details in the story. If your talking about the cave describe it and paint the picture for me. Remember, as your reader I know nothing about the text so details help. Yet only include details that underline the main idea.

    4. What is the main idea? State it in a sentence. (this may seem a little hard but your almost there!)

    5. Prisoners didn't assume they believed.

    6. Be specific when referring to the text.

    Maybe expand on what Socrates meant by "concept of truth"-- back it up with actual text.

    Good luck!

    Josh

    ReplyDelete